At last week’s Indie Author Fair at Foyle’s in London the room rocked with over 50 authors and their books. Readers, agents, organisers, artists and poets cruised around the room, wine glasses in hands, surveying, perusing and purchasing great reading.
In one corner of the room I lured people to my table with the offer of a 60s music quiz. People stood in the middle of the room, humming 60s tunes to each other, remembering the titles, guessing at the artists. Christine Wilkinson, fabulous photographer and designer of the book cover and I answered questions as best we could, without giving too much away.
For those of you who couldn’t make it, here’s the quiz. Unfortunately no fabulous prizes remain (gorgeous fridge magnets (see below). I know! you’re sorry you didn’t come now), but you’ll be left with a comforting sense of pride that you know all the answers. Or not. If in doubt, ask your mum. Solutions later.
1. Who sang …?
a. Baby Love
i. The Ronettes
ii. The Crystals
iii. The Supremes
iv. The Chiffons
b. Oh Pretty Woman
i. Marvin Gaye
ii. Roy Orbison
iii. Del Shannon
iv. Marty Wilde
i. Brenda Lee
iii. Dusty Springfield
iv. Helen Shapiro
2. Van Morrison was a member of which group?
1. Dave Clark 5
3. Spencer Davis Band
4. The Searchers
3. How many members were there in
1. The Dave Clark 5?
2. The Big 3?
3. The Beatles?
4. Who was the lead singer of the Animals?
5. Here’s the first line – what’s the song?
1. People try to put us down
2. Oh yeah, I’ll tell you something, I think you’ll understand
3. If you see me walking down the street and I start to cry
6. Which was the first record released by the Beatles
1. Please Please Me
2. Love Me Do
3. Can’t Buy Me Love
7. Charlie Watts was a member of which group?
8. In which city were Tamla Motown records first recorded?
9. On which TV Station did Top of the Pops start?
10. Which night did Ready Steady Go appear on TV?